Thursday, November 15, 2012

Great American Smokeout


Today's the day, people. Put that cigarette out for good. It's the American Cancer Society's 37th Great American Smokeout. Last year I wrote this about lung cancer. I'm not going to repeat myself. Instead, I'm going to say do whatever you want. But I wish what you wanted to do was quit. It's up to you.

I'm through with begging. When I was little, all I wanted for Christmas was for my parents to stop smoking. They never did. It killed my mom. My dad still smokes. But I'm not mad anymore. Ok, maybe a little mad. But I've come to realize he doesn't smoke to upset me. In fact, it's not about me at all. Smoking is an addiction. It's a stress reliever. A crutch in some cases. I don't yell at my dad every time he lights a cigarette anymore. There is no point. He has been smoking for roughly 45 years now. If my mom dieing from lung cancer didn't make him stop, me saying "please" one more time won't either.

I have friends who smoke. They know what I've been through but they keep lighting up. Am I mad at them? No. They know the risks so I'm through begging. Do I want to see them around for their kids one day? Of course. Will I be angry if they get lung cancer? Probably. But we also know that not everyone who smokes gets it and not everyone who gets it, smokes. Like my uncle who I miss every day, just like my mom. He passed away just 25 days ago from lung cancer. It's hard to lose a family member to cancer, especially a parent. I know it, my sister knows it & now unfortunately, my 3 cousins know it.

Smoking doesn't just hurt you. It hurts your family. So quit or don't. I just wish you wanted to try.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you're promoting this! I lost my dad last year to stomach cancer that was likely caused by smoking. It's something that you never think will happen to you but it can and I think people need to be more aware that the risks associated with smoking can hit home.

I hope you're having a good week!

Nikki said...

Sorry to hear about your dad :( Cancer is so unfair.